Tuesday, 15 November 2011

#19 One media product that went over the line.

http://vimeo.com/12082980

    M.I.A's music video for Born free. This video caused so much controversy that it was removed from youtube. I have mixed feelings about the video but it is clear that it did infact go over the line... way over.  Where do I begin? Within the first two minutes it shows intense police brutality, a man smoking meth/crack, and an overweight couple having sex. Basically, the rest of the video is red haired people being treated like the jewish in WWII. A little boy is shot point blank in the head and the rest are sent running through a mine field. At the end there is only one, who you see blow up into a million peices.
     The video offended various people. The artist is not descriminitory towards red haired people, they were just an easy visual statement. It also clearly targeted the U.S military. Just like 'cop killler' was censored from the American public because it targeted the south central L.A police,  Born free's video was censored from youtube for targeting the U.S military. It has been clearly stated, do not mess with American authority.
      I think the statement is that history is proven to repeat itself, in this case specifically the Holocaust. Is this a warning of another mass genocide or even the New Word Order?
     It is needless to say that this is a very deep and powerful video intended to catch the intrest of the media in one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment